Sunday, June 6, 2010

buying and selling horses

When you go to buy a horse make sure you are on the ground looking at it. I bought one last fall thinking I had a good Fox Trotter to ride the rest of my days. Well, Think again Deanna. I was sitting up in the bleachers when I bought this horse, when I got on the ground next to her I thought "How is the world am I ever going to get on her". Her back is higher than I am tall. I need to have a bucket or ladder to stand on.

She is a palomino four year old Fox Trotter. Beautiful horse. I can not get up on her. So she is for sale again. I want to make sure she gets a good home. She is as quite and calm as can be.

Seriously, look at the horse really good. Check its feet- you can tell if it has been foundered. You can tell if it has had a problem in the last few weeks because the feet will have rings in the hoof if there is a problem. Cracks are a little concern, you can fix some of them. Shoes are always good to look at. If it does not have shoes find out why not. It may be that the horse will not let you put shoes on it. Try to pick up its feet, but be careful not to get kicked.

Look at its teeth. You can tell its age by the teeth but I look for color and any biting problem.
Watch it walk if you can. Does it limp or drag one of its feet?

Check its eyes. Are they clear and bright. Does it have white eyes showing..I don't like a horse that shows white. They are usually hard to control.

Going through an auction is a stressful thing for the horse to go through. It is scary for anyone.
If there is a way to do, ride the horse before you buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment- Tell me if I can give you some specific information.