Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fun with a fixer-upper camper

I would like to tell you about a trailer that we purchased a few years ago. This is funny to us but to some it may not be. I have told you that we try to have fun and make living a joy. We had just been asked to come to Arizona for a graduation. We did not have a camper and no money to buy a really good one. So we searched for one that we could buy and fix up.


Well we found one. I liked the layout of it and it had lots of room in it. It was a 26-foot bumper pull. When we talked to the man that had it he told us that everything worked and as far as he knew it was ready to go. Bruce backed up to it and hooked it up- we did not have any lights on it. So he took it home and worked on the lights, we ended up putting on a new set of trailer lights. The wires to the lights were all rotted and brittle. Bruce and a friend worked on it all day trying to get the lights working.

While they were doing the wiring, I decided to turn on the water and see how that was. I had water spraying out the back end of the trailer. After looking at the plumbing it was only a matter of replacing a section that had frozen and broke. So I took care of that.

With the wiring all done and the water seemingly ok we decided to just go with it. We bought the trailer on a Friday and needed to leave on Monday to get to Arizona on time for the graduation. I started to load all our clothing and dishes and what we needed into the camper.

We started out on our venture Monday around noon. Before we drove 15 miles a piece of chrome came off the side of the camper. Then we stopped in Lebanon to see Bruce’s mother and let her know we were leaving. We lost a hob cap somewhere along the way. She wished us well and we left.

We drove on I 44 almost to Joplin MO when another piece of chrome came loose. Bruce stopped on the interstate to see what it was. I took my trusty duct tape and taped it up until we could nail it. I have learned
to never go any where with out duct tape.

Bruce drove to Oklahoma City OK, we stopped at a truck stop for the night. I did not cook yet, we ate inside because we did not have lights inside the camper. When we had it parked at home it was plugged into the electric. We did not even think to try it on the battery. We had a very peaceful night and slept well.

I got up the next morning about six am and made breakfast for us. It turned out very good. The appliances worked fine and the refrigerator was cold.

This is going to be a two-part story at least. More later.

Keep camping and stay in the saddle.
  If you like my articles click the follow me and you will get the update. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment- Tell me if I can give you some specific information.